Sunday, February 24, 2013

Because paper is flammable.

The journal from whence this blog post came.


...I am copying my running list of New Things I've Done (c. 2009) here:

-figure skated internationally
-traveled to Europe alone (Lux, Germany, Belgium, France)
-paid my own bills
-owned personalized checks
-spent Christmas without my parents
-completed a New York magazine crossword puzzle
-subscribed to the Wall Street Journal
-studied for an exam until 5:30 am
-rented a house with 6-8 other girls
-had a one-night stand
-shopped at Harrod's, London, UK
-studied Italian
-went to a Passover seder
-went to the Czech Republic
-went to China
-went on a typical college spring break to Florida
-had a mimosa with breakfast
-went to a Bible study
-had my own double bed
-stayed for 2 months in a foreign country (Italy)
-swam in the Adriatic and Tyrrhenian seas
-swam in Lake Como
-written journal entries in a foreign language
-watched a movie in a foreign movie theater (Harry Potter 6, Florence, Italy)
-saw The Last Supper by da Vinci
-got an A on an Italian oral exam
-competed in the Senior division
-tried absinthe
-done an Irish Car Bomb
-climbed to the top of the duomos in Florence and Milan
-owned Birkenstocks - and loved them
-paid for and stayed in a hotel room by myself (Milan, Italy)
-drank before 11 am (champagne after my Italian 305 final)
-tried pesto - and loved it
-successfully made pasta
-finished an entire bottle of wine by myself
-went to San Marino
-spent the night on an airport floor
-went to Switzerland
-went to Belgium
-went jet skiing
-driven 10 hours, Oxford, OH - NYC, NY, alone
-played ultimate frisbee - and loved it
-watched 4th of July fireworks in NYC
-graduated from college
-published a photograph
-saw John Mayer live
-studied Portuguese
-quit figure skating
-developed my own photographs
-lived in a LES, Manhattan apartment
-commuted daily on the subway
-driven 16 hours, NYC, NY - Milwaukee, WI, alone
-went to Malaysia
-went to Thailand
-had a 15 hour work day
-rented a car
-went inside a mosque
-went inside a Baha'i temple
-took a spontaneous trip to Chicago (train ticket & hotel room booked within 24 hours of departure)
-went gluten-free for 40 days
-managed 7 of my peers
-gone a year without dyeing my hair
-saw Jerry Seinfeld live
-went to a Milwaukee Brewers baseball game
-went to a Milwaukee Bucks game
-toured a brewery
-rowed crew
-saw Pres. Obama speak live
-spoke in front of 1000 people
-slept at Northeastern University
-climbed to the top of Milwaukee's City Hall
-got an oil change
-took a latin dance class


...to be continued. At least now I have it backed up somewhere. It's interesting...the majority of these deal with travel and alcohol. 

In re-typing this, I flashed through every experience, and I love that I don't regret any of these things for one single second. I probably will never drink absinthe again because it made me hallucinate, but it brought me closer to the people I was studying abroad with. I have never been in water so cold as Lake Como, but it was so exhilarating, so purifying for my soul. I may not ever be able to fluently journal in Italian again, but I have the record that I was once at that level of proficiency. I hope I never have to finish off an entire bottle of wine again, but the night(s) I did that in Italy were some of the most memorable. My life, in just the past 4 years, has been so enriched by all these things, and all these things in some way or another have led me to the life I'm currently living in Milwaukee. Oh yeah, I forgot to add 'lived in WISCONSIN' to the list. That's certainly something I never thought I'd do.

Check back for more. I am young, wild, and free - and I will add to this list. Or what's a life for?


No comments:

Post a Comment